Access Keys:

Scoil Naomh Molaise, Grange, Co. Sligo

The Courthouse


The Courthouse is situated in the centre of Grange Village.

It is a detached single-storey limestone court house which was built in 1871 when the Land League and Home Rule were issues of most importance.

It was a busy courthouse, with up on one hundred cases a month being heard there. It was built on orders from a local landlord called Temple at a cost of £500.

Stables and a coachhouse were built at the back to cater for the magistrates horses and carraiges. Those buildings survived until a few years ago when they were demolished to make way for a new housing estate.

Grange courthouse was burned out during the War of Independence and was rebuilt in 1927 when it was taken over by the County Council.

The cost of rebuilding the courthouse came to £855 and was carried out by the famous Michael Scanlon from Kilmacowen. It has served Grange community as a Temperance Hall, a GAA meeting place and for 25 card drives over the years as well as being a district court.

 The building ceased to function as a courthouse 2008. The Grange and Armada Development Association  have leased the building and plans are underway to turn it into an interpretive centre for the Armada story.

Researched by Anna Siberrry