Access Keys:

Scoil Naomh Molaise, Grange, Co. Sligo

Church of Mary Immaculate, Grange


Church of Mary Immaculate

The church was built between 1842 and 1845 by Fr. Malachi Brennan. The presbytery (Priest’s house) was built in 1875 by Fr. John Healy. The bell which was made at the William Byrne Foundry, Dublin was erected in 1893, on the request of Rev. William Crofton. Between 1956 and 1958 a new roof was constructed, the floors, seating and windows were replaced under the guidance Fr. Colm Feeney.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   The refurbishment of the Church                                     

Fr. Christy McHugh undertook a major refurbishment of the church in 2009/2010. This included a new roof, repairs to the bell, plastering, repainting, new seating, flooring, lighting and plumbing. The gallery was reinstated and all the woodwork was replaced.

My Grandad and Uncle Declan were involved in the refurbishment of the Church in 2009/2010.                                                       

Priests who served in Grange

1907       Fr. John Hynes

1911       Fr. Jacob Connaughton

1914       Fr. Bernard Crehan

1917       Fr. Edward Doorly

1923       Fr. Patrick J. O’Leary

1930       Fr. Thomas J. Waters

1935       Fr. John Cunniffe

1938       Fr. John Donnellan

1946       Fr. Michael T. Casey, Adm.

1947       Fr. Colm Feeney

1958       Fr. Austin Conway

1969       Fr. Patrick McHugh

1980       Fr. Michael Quinn

1988       Fr. Cyril Haran

2003       Fr. Christy McHugh

Last changed: Jul 05 2017 at 8:45 PM