Access Keys:

Scoil Naomh Molaise, Grange, Co. Sligo

Grange Village

  • Grange village was once a stronghold of the O'Harte and O'Connor families.                                                                               
  • In1604 a new castle and 7 cottages were built by Hugh O'Harte.    
  • The name   Grange itself comes from the Irish Grainseach from a granary that once  stood  there
  • In the 17th century the village belonged to the people who owned Boyle Abbey.
  • After 1641 the land was granted to Thomas Soden.                                                                                           
  • He received his grant on the 13 of April 1668 under act of settlement.
  • 11 hundred men died in the Spanish Armada cruelly hereb in 1588.
  • Making there way back to Spain after disastrous naval battels  with  the English,3 ships of the Spanish Armada took shelter from an Atlantic gale in the bay  between Inishmurray and streedagh.
  • In May 1985 a team of marine archaeologists discovered the remains of the  ships ,the Lalavia,La Juliana and the Santa Marina buried in the sand.
  • Last changed: Jun 27 2018 at 12:17 PM